2015

2015

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Soup for Sister



This is definitely the busiest summer I can remember since I retired.  Of course we've only been living in this house for a little over two years, and I have my first grandchild so things seem to be hopping all the time.

I am thrilled that my baby sister and brother-in-law are coming in for a visit.    I can't wait.  I only get to see her a couple of times a year and we always, always have a wonderful time.  We'll be hitting all the antique and thrift shops we can find I'm sure. 

They are taking the train, so by the time we pick them up they will have been on the train for about 12 hours.  I can't imagine it.  At any rate, I'm sure they will be hungry so I'm planning to feed them a tomato basil soup and garlic bread.  Something light as it will be late, well, late for me (8:30 pm) by the time they get here.

Nothing fancy, another simple table.

Oh for cryin' out loud.  Please ignore the cardbox with the toddler toys in the corner.

Second time this summer I've used this soup tureen.  Funny, it was at the top of the cabinet for a couple of years.

I never know quite what to do with the flatware when I don't have forks on the table. 

The story about the green ceramic bread basket is that I have been too cheap to purchase one from Pottery Barn or William's Sonoma, then I found this one at Marshall's for $9.99.  I couldn't resist.  And I do love to use a bread cloth, but it's not on the table for the photos.

I picked these roses and will put them in the guestroom.


The bowls are from Marshall's;
flatware is from Pier One a long time ago and is called Tadpole;
the soup tureen came from Goodwill (I think, or another thrift store);
the plates are from Dollar Tree;
the placemats and napkins are from Ross years ago, and;
the glasses I've had for a while (although I saw some like them at the Dollar Tree recently).

Thanks so much for visiting.  I hope your summer is going well.  I can't believe we are already into August!  Amazing.




5 comments:

  1. Your table is beautiful. Hope you have a wonderful time with your sister! Annie Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Rooster Party Participant,

    Just a reminder that this coming Friday, August 6th is the Rooster Party. I am so looking forward to seeing your post.

    Thanks for joining and I hope you have a wonderful time.

    Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that's a lovely table I love the pretty roses you picked for your sister's visit. I wish I had a sister but I don't. I love your simple table that's my style and the soup tureen you got from the goodwill or some other place. I must go hunting for some table decorations and useful things at the Goodwill or at this place near us that sells vintage things. Have a great time with your sister and bil. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unusual rolled handled utensils!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely table settings, gorgeous roses, and the grandkids toys are perfect! Shows lots of love and fun activities going on for grandparents and their grandchildren in your house, as well as mine. :) Have a delightful visit.

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate your comments.