2015

2015

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

One for the Boys

Once again I am joining Susan and Between Naps on the Porch for her Tablescape Thursday blog party.  Hers was the first blog I found when I started checking out blogs and it is still as amazing as it was the first time I saw it.

I got a wonderful compliment recently.  Perfect husband invited 7 buddies over for poker.  Since 5 of them were making a 3 hour drive from where we used to live, he wanted to serve them dinner.  He asked me to set the table.  Quite a compliment I thought. 

Although sorely tempted, I decided not to go too 'girly'.  The menu was clam chowder and seasoned poached salmon on salad with sour dough bread.



The stripped tablecloth you see often if you follow my table settings.


Didn't use chargers since it was pretty early, informal and there really wasn't room.



An opportunity to pull out a soup tureen I don't get much chance to use.
(My, my, please ignore the red, white and blue plates stacked on the little side server.  What a mess!)
Simple glassware
Put the candles in the middle of the table just for the look.  Was really early for using them.
I used one of my favorite bread cloths that I like -- it says "Hot Rolls make the" and then the embroidered  butterfly.  Cute, huh.

I must admit it was fun putting this simple table together for my favorite guys and the dinner was a success.

The green plates and bowls as well as the stemmed goblets came from the Dollar Tree;
the bread plates are Spode "Woodland" retriever;
the soup tureen is not marked but came from a thrift store, and;
the flatware and tall pilsner glasses are from Ross (don't remember if it even had a brand on it).


Thanks so much for stopping visiting. 

13 comments:

  1. Oh what a lovely tablesetting, and it is indeed a compliment if DH wants to show off your beautiful table scapees. You hit the perfect balance. Manly and pretty. Love your choice of linens and dishes and the menu sounds perfect. Great job. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they loved it! My dh doesn't care for chargers...says they slide when he cuts the meat, LOL.
    Can't take him anywhere! :)
    Love that soup tureen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for stopping by my home and leaving a comment. I love your masculine table.. It came together. I love the spode..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful table! I love green. Beautifull linens. Fatima-Scrapart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors on this table. How proud he must have been to show off your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your table, greens and blues go so nicely together. That tureen is perfect for a nice pot of clam chowder...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that your efforts made all of your husband's buddies feel special. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the sweet comments on my blog. I absolutely love a green tablescape. Green is my favorite color...and as luck would have it. I picked up a green hutch today from a craigslist seller. lol I may have the eye but its taking a toll on my bank account. lol - Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely setting!! so inviting and cozy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this table is just perfect for the guys. Not too frilly but, still shows that they are being treated to something nice. The table really is lovely! and what a wonderful compliment by your hubby to ask you to set a table for his guest. He knows what a talented lady you are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure your husband was quite pleased -- it's always a challenge to set a "manly" table and your've done very well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the woodland.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate your comments.