2015

2015

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Thrifty Finds and Silver Liners

I am joining Leigh over at Bloggeritaville (love that name) for Thrifty Thursday.

I recently came upon a bonanza of silverplate items at Goodwill.    It's a little sad, because someone went to the trouble of etching their driver's license number on each piece.  On the other hand, at least they have a new home where they will be used.

They were in pretty bad shape when I got them as far as tarnish but I didn't think to take photos as I had the time to polish them that day.  And the most expensive one was $5.25.  Woooohooooo.


Fortunately, I have a pyrex dish that will fit perfect into this server.

This is a three piece chaffing dish that is really nice.  Doesn't have the glass insert, however.

Although this piece has some pitting at the bottom, I loved the open edges.


I searched the Goodwill store, and am always on the lookout for the glass liner dishes that protect the serving piece.  Unfortunately, I have not had much luck finding them.   I am always purchasing glass pieces and then re-donating them because they don't fit.  Does anyone have the 'secret' to finding these liner pieces?  I only assume they are not marked (like with Pyrex or Anchor Hocking) becaused I don't remember any markings on the ones I have washed throughout the years.  I suppose it's possible that they have all been broken along the way.  I have used various things in the past, but they aren't ideal.  It's too bad someone doesn't invent some biodegradable thing that could be used. 

At any rate, I am thrilled with them and can't wait for an excuse to use them.  In the meantime, I just have to find a place to store them!

Make sure to check out Bloggeritaville for some great posts.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh-this is exquisite!!! You must be SO excited!!! I hope you enjoy it at a wonderful gathering. :-)
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY beautiful. A fabulous find for you.

    You know it wasn't too long ago (about 7 years) that I wouldn't have stepped foot into a thrift store (too prideful and arrogant!!). But then my husband went through 25 months of unemployment, and shopping thrift stores became a necessity, and I discovered that they are a treasure house of LOVELY items. Oh, sure, there is lots of junk...but even some of the junk can be revamped and made beautiful.

    I'm now a LOVER of thrift stores.

    Have a blessed day,
    Patti (Fill My Cup with Beauty)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE old silverplate! Lucky finds at Goodwill. Our local Goodwills often have great items, but not silver -- too bad!

    As for the glass inserts, you might try Ebay. I know there will be a shipping charge, but maybe you can even find it locally and pick it up!

    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these are some really beautifulul silver pieces! I swear when I see sparkling polished silver, my eyes just glaze over in bliss! LOL

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate your comments.