2015

2015

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Table for Company




It was time to have dinner for five of us.  We had a scallop and spinach dish with a green salad, and a very casual, lovely evening finished off with some red wine a truffles we picked up during our sight-seeing tour . 
I put the serving pieces and dessert plates on the table before I decided what the menu would be.  As it turned out I didn't use them after all.
I wanted a nice look, but nothing too formal.  I had a lot of trouble deciding what to do with the napkins so they just ended up in little squares.  Not sure how that happened.





And of course any opportunity to use my five amber etched glasses and goblets is welcomed!





I used a white tablecloth and napkins with a fish net looking overlay for some texture and color and give the table some softness and warmth.


Kind of funny, but we opted out of bread even though the setting included a bread plate and knife.  I usually put on more silverware than we use so that I wash it to keep from having to polish it.

We had a terrific meal and a great evening.

The charger came from Big Lots several years ago (they are a little orangey rather than golden, but they match the gold color on these plates patricularly well);
the etched amber wine and water glasses were on sale at Pier One about a year ago;
the tablecloth came from a discount store a long time ago and the overlay is just a piece of fabric that I hemmed;
the silver is Francis 1 from Reed and Barton;
the dishes are Sango "Chateau Pattern".
Thanks so much for visiting me.   I am joining Susan over at Between Naps on the Porch for her Tablescape Thursday Party.  Check on my sideboard for this button and you will be in awe of the postings there.




19 comments:

  1. I like the way you showed the steps to setting this table, and it is an elegant and yer welcoming table! I end up setting bread plates and accessories on my table too, and they seem to be used even when bread is not served. They always come in handy for the little extras that won't fit on the plate, don't they?

    I have resisted buying chargers because I don't have that much storage for them, but it is a constant effort because it is my husband who wants to buy them! He prepares and serves gourmet meals often around here for friends and family and he keeps insisting we need them to set a better table. Good thing he doesn't do much dish shopping. We would have to build a whole 'nother room just for dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely table. I just adore your china and your crystal is beautiful. Thanks for sharing and happy TT to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your china is just beautiful and the glassware photographed so beautifully. Thanks for setting the table for us. What time is dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks very pretty, I'll bet you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that glassware is so pretty. I like the little square napkins like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grannysue, thank you for stopping by and leving that nice comment. Have you recognized that your amber glasses have the very same shade like my glasses. But yours look so much nicer with the cuttet pattern. I love your table and I love the light reflexes of the crystal things on the pictures. The china is pretty and so are the chargers. I have always a problem with the napkins. Mostly I leave them folded in a easy way, because not all will stand so nice like the yellow ones, I used this time.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. so very nice!! everything looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply elegant with that pretty china and sparkling crystal...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice setting for company! Very pretty china! I love the netting over the tablecloth too! Nice touch! Sorry to read the previous post about your dog! I do not like using new medicines of any sort. I hope she will be 100% well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue! What a lovely table! So nice to see people using their fine china and silver!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty - love the overlay on your tablecloth. What a pretty china pattern too - I like it very much. I read about your poor doggie -- so glad she's going to be ok -- you do wonder about putting something on them that will kill the fleas -- it can't be 100% safe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your comment! I really appreciate and am glad to know that the blogging community is so helpful and encouraging. I read your post above about your dog. It's awful when they experiment on them with new stuff. I've always used Revolution for the fleas with no ill effects.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your lovely table. Love the glassware.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your comments on my table! Love your glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your table looks so pretty. I love those etched glasses, and your china and silver are beautiful. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your stemware. Everything looks lovly. Thanks for stopping by and for sharing. BTW, I am offering a 200th posting giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed your post. The table looks lovely. I'm trying to figure out if the overlay is an open weave (time for new glassess, I guess). What can you tell me about it?
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the china.
    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  18. This table is beautiful!!! Sparkly and elegant. I love your silver pattern and the etched goblets are wonderful-such an unusual color. I am starting to acquire more glassware AND running out of room for storage at the same time! But please explain...no bread?????? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful and I love the picture you painted in my head with the food! My mouth is watering for scallops now!

    Don't forget to grab your favorite recipe to serve guests and link the hospitality party this week!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate your comments.