2015

2015

Thursday, May 20, 2010

To Cloth or Not to Cloth

I am joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for her wonderful Tablescape Thursday party.  She is ever so gracious and kind to be the hostess.  There are some just incredible settings that are posted through this party so be sure you check it out.

As I was reorganizing I was reminded of some chargers I got at Pier One a while back.  Even on sale, they were more than I wanted to pay, but at the time I just had to have them.  And, this is the first time I've used them.  They a very large and are heavy glass. 

A already had the white tablecloth on, but I think they might look better on just the bare wood.  (makes me shutter to think of it though!)

After I saw the photos I definitely decided I didn't really like the look of the cloth, so this week I redid the setting without a cloth or placemat (GASP).  I also changed the flatware from the above (which is Pier one Tadpole long since discontinued)

I like the look better, but I'm not wild about not even having placemats (that Southern upbringing never quite leaves me).  I haven't found a placemat I'm happy using.  Hmmmmm sounds like time for a shopping spree.

Oh my, I just noticed I hadn't put water glasses on before I took photos.  Busy getting dinner ready!

Yep, I think the brown of the table helped bring out the detail in the plate and the charger. 

Added some beautiful Peruvian lilies from the yard.



The green dinner plates are from Marshall's and are from Portugal.  On sale some months ago.  The salad bowls are Yedi that I found on Amazon and just had to have.

Plaid napkins came from Ross.  I thought I'd probably use them in the fall, but they work with the green in this setting.

The water glasses are from Dollar Tree, and the wine goblets are one of my favorites that I found on Ebay practically for only the shipping and I just love 'em.

And I do like the shell/mother of pearly chargers from Pier One.

I'd love to hear your opinions about tablecloth, placement and the like.  With me there is just something neked about a table without a cloth or placemat.  Old fashioned I know.   You know what they say, "You can take the girl out of the South, but.............."

Be sure to check out Tablescape Thursday.
Thanks for visiting me today.

12 comments:

  1. I love the chargers. They are gorgeous and I can see how they would be hard to resist. I like the bare table here. I think it makes everything pop out more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of a bare table to set off the pretty dishes. With those wonderful chargers, you really don't need placemats, in my humble opinion! That close-up "rim shot" is just wonderful -- love those layers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with not using the tablecloth. The wood looks so wonderful and rich as a backdrop for your dishes. I can see why you just had to have those charger plates! They are aweome. I love the other dishes you added as well. The settings look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous and I agree..the naked table looks best with this scape!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. I glad that I'm not the only one that just "has to have it". the chargers are gorgeous and with the bare table, they really stand out. Thanks for sharing and for your sweet comments on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you don't need a tablecloth. its beautimus just the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. those chargers are great-i think they were a definite must buy. you can really create different looks with them and for different seasons. i think using the plaid napkins like you did really brought out the soft yellow and muted green.

    i am soooo happy to hear you say you actually use the settings that you put out, even if it just the two of you. look at all those times you had to add something to the setting-can you imagine doing all that just to put it away? crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those chargers are so versatile, they will just go with everything... bare table is best, or maybe something scrunch up, so you see the table,but still have cloth, for your southern sensibilities, of course... Love it all, Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't cloth...but that's because I have little ones who pull on things...haha...your table is pretty so you don't need a cloth at all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Grannysue! You have a beautiful table - you should let it come out and play more often! : ) Thanks for stopping by today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I say, no cloth. I love the look of bare wood. I think it looks neat and clean and fuss-free. I also think those flowers are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate your comments.