2015

2015

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Orchids and Green

This is my submission to Tablescape Thursday with Susan at Between Naps on the Porch.  You will pleasantly entertained, inspired and awed by the posts she shares with us every week.  Thank you Susan, for this wonderful outlet.  The Tablescape Thursday button is one of the few I have been able to put on my sidebar.

My Dad brought me some orchids from his yard when we had our Easter and a week later they were still just as beautiful.   Made for a really nice week day supper setting.
I just noticed that if you look close at the top left of the photo you can see one of my whippets watching.  You can also see a pair of shoes but we will forget about that!

Aren't they amazing.  They grow all over my Dad's patio and have been there since he moved in and he really ignores them except for what he describes and 'squirting them with the hose when I think about it'.




You will notice that the orchids are plopped in a wine carafe since that's what I had handy when he showed up for Easter dinner. 
The salad plates are from Goodwill and cost me $.50 each.  They are Pfaltzgraff but I don't know the pattern;
the black plates are also Pfaltzgraff and are my everyday Midnight Sun pattern;
the flatware is my everyday 'stainless' (I put that in quotes because it's beginning to rust) and probably came from Ross;
the green straw mats came from Target around Eastertime this year;
the water glasses are from Dollar Tree, and; the wine carafe was a $.50 find at Ross.

And I want to comment here on everyday dishes.  I visited http://anita-faraboverubies.blogspot.com/2010/05/talavera-table.html who set a beautiful table for Cinco de Mayo.  Check it out.  At any rate, she talked about stoneware for everyday china and I totally agree with her.  It chips easily and isn't as durable as you might think.  I also find that as I age much of the new dishware is heavy and I find myself going for the china more and more.  I have Phaltzgraf for everyday and, although it is very, very tough, I do have chips on mine.  But then, I've been using it for over 20 years. 

I  also believe that as we age we tend to gravitate toward things that make us comfortable.  This is going to sound crazy, but the sound of the flatware on the unglazed plates is beginning to get on my nerves.  I'm sure there's a pill for it, but I'd rather just get new dishes, wouldn't you?

Once again, nothing fancy, just a week night dinner with a little extra punch thanks to my Dad.  Don't forget to check out Tablescape Thursdays for some fabulous posts.






Thanks for visiting.  I wish all of you to whom it applies, a wonderful and joyous Mother's Day.

14 comments:

  1. What a sweet dad. I think we need to see pictures of his orchid porch - although we'll all be jealous! Dropping by from BNOTP.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  2. The orchids are fabulous! How lucky you are to live in a climate where you can grow them on your porch! Nice tablesetting too. Happy Mother's Day!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty! I wish my flowers were happy with hitting them with a hose when I think about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The orchids are soooo beautiful - I am so jealous! I lost all of mine to the freezes we had in FL this year....would love to know your Dad's secret..
    Love the plates - Goodwill is my fav for tablescape finds. Thanks for visiting....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, those orchids are so stunnig! And it work so perfectly with your table settings! Just so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your setting--especially the unusual salad plates. Interesting to hear you mention not liking eating on unglazed plates....a lady at Goodwill told me the same thing the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful setting, I love green too! I am amazed at the orchids!! I have bought two and killed both of them so I admire anyone who can keep them living!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful table, the gorgeous orchids really stand out against the green, white and black plates. Your father must have a real green thumb to have so many orchids!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this simple, elegant table! It really allows your gorgeous orchids to be the star.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by to visit! I have not seen your blog before, but I had a grand time reading back through it.

    You will get this stuff figured out as you go along. This is my second go 'round with blogging, and I am still figuring it out!

    You are so organized! I was in awe of your idea for storing napkins -- we use cloth naps all the time -- and no, only the company ones get ironed -- that is such a great use of that hanging shoe thing!

    I am looking forward to seeing you again.

    Scribbler
    http://scribbler-unfocused.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful orchids! This is my first time visiting your blog and I can't wait to read through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your orchids are GORGEOUS and my hubby's favorite flowers! Such a lovely table :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rant away dear, there are many of us who do agree. Your tablescape is simple yet beautiful. Those orchids are wonderful. Your dad should know there are many who try more than just to put a hose to them once in awhile and can't keep them alive. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty tablescape! But I think my favorite part is the shoes in the corner. Some tablescapes look like magazine pictures - and they are inspiring and beautiful - but I am glad to see someone else lives in a real home, too!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate your comments.