2015

2015

Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day Tea

I am joining Wanda Lee at the Plumed Pen for her wonderful tea parties.  She is having two this week with givewaways and all sorts of fun things so make sure to visit her beautiful blog.

For this Mother's Day I hosting a tea.  Since I don't have children myself, I am honoring my Mother-in-law and step-daughter (mother to the most precious 13 month old little girl you've ever seen), and my neighbor, her two daughers and her niece.  That is a nice group of seven.  All the fellows are off doing whatever it is fellows do when the women run them off - I think they went to Harbor Freight or some gun shop. 

At any rate, in honor of Mothers past I used the vintage linens that my MIL brought recently and graciously bestowed on me.  I just love them.  I am touched by the fact that her mother and grandmother did the stitching by hand and spent hours on these table coverings.  Even the hems are done by hand.  They are truly amazing, and truly special to me. 







I am also bringing out the cream and sugar bowl she handed down to me as well as some pieces of Fostoria that she has given me over the years. 


The please a Nippon with the M stamp (there's a story about them I'll have to post one day.  And the crystal  dishes are Fostoria in the Mulberry pattern.


As you may know I'm not too good at centerpieces, so I used 'blooming tea' things.  I tried one of them for drinking and it wasn't bad.  Tastes like the water after an arthichoke has boiled.  (I am such a hick) 

I added some flowers from the yard around the table and the parlor.  I enlisted the help of my Mother-in-Law to put the flowers in vases for me.  She does a great job even though she won't admit it.







As I look at all the food I am thinking I should have invited the fellas.

I used a polyester lace cloth I've had and layered the vintage things over it.  I used tea cups and desset plates as well as monogrammed silverplate that I've collected over the years, in addition to the teapots I've had for a while.

All in all we had a great time and I thoroughly enjoyed getting out all the dishes and spending time visiting.   For me it was  perfect day with only one hiccup; I forgot about giving out the little favor bags I made up that included a purse hanger, a tea sample and, of course, a handerchief.  

Now don't forget to check out Wanda Lee's blog.  You will be delighted with all the beautiful things she shares.


Thanks so much for visiting.

9 comments:

  1. That is so sweet. First off I love the the table linens...then your eclectic mix of tea cups, so pretty...then you topped it off with beautiful fresh flowers...what more can a girl ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, lovely, lovely. I just saw your "don't like call waiting" on another blog. I so agree! And, to go a step further, I really get annoyed when a clerk is waiting on me and takes a phone call without asking that person to "please hold". I was at Hobby Lobby recently when the cashier took a call on her cell phone. I politely told her that I'd wait until she finished her conversation. She said "it's o.k., I can ring you up and talk"!!!!! I politely repeated that I'd wait. Come to find out, she was a supervisor! Thanks for listening to my rant. I loved your post today. Such fine and lovely items.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, looks like you had a wonderful time. For the record I give a right toenail for beautiful crystal and vintage linens like you have. Thanks so much for stopping by for a visit. Come back anytime.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post. I love all your tea pots. They are so beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing with us. It would not have been the same without you. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am stick stuck on the linens you showed! just gorgeous!! And I love that green and white teapot! So pretty!

    Everything looks so pretty and inviting! If you don't mind, I am going to grab a plate and dig in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an exquisitely elegant Mothers Day tea you set!! Everything just makes my eyes dance...totally lovely!

    I used my Fostoria cakeplate yesterday for guests. We have many of the same items. I'm DROOLING over your china & stemware in the background cabinet as well as those beautiful flowers from your yard. BRAVO on a job well done!

    fondly,
    Rett

    p.s. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the book, Sarah's Key as much as I did. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks beautiful! The linens and tea service..and the flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooh, I've hosted so many of these tea parties. I KNOW how much work is put into one. Your table is beautiful and the tea service is lovely! Love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness I love all of your tea accessories! The fruit in the little chrystal glasses is wonderful! I will definitely be stealing that idea!
    <>< Concetta

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate your comments.