2015

2015

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Black and White setting


I am linking to Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday.   I haven't finished looking at all the posts yet, but they are always wonderful and a great way to spend an evening.  The pink Tablescape Thursday button is on my side bar.

Since perfect husband is so patient and tolerant of my fettish for dishes and glassware, and has only asked me where I'm going to put something one time, I try to set week night tables for the two of us that aren't too over the top or too frilly.  After all, he has to be comfortable, right.  Compared to many of the settings  you will see on Tablescape Thursday, mine are pretty plain.  But they work for us and I like sharing them.

So, tonight it is black and white since I'm not much into the beach feeling yet.






The purple cast on the greyish glasses is interesting!



The placemats are a simple black (fake or plastic straw thing) with white trim and came from a discount store a couple of years ago.  I'm not too big on round placemats, but I use them sometimes in lieu of a charger;
The plates are from Dutch Design Collections "Solids" and I got them at Marshall's a few years ago  I only have four of the plates and haven't been able to find anymore;
The black bowl is my everyday Pfaltzgraff; the flatware is my stainful stainless; the back wine glasses came from Big Lots many years ago; the smoke colored glass if probably circleware from years ago.

The setting is a little stark (I think in this day and age it's called minimalist) and I notice I have developed the bad habit of putting the fork on the napkin.  My Grandma would be appalled.  Wonder when and why I picked that up!  (I think I can't bear to set the fork on a table without a cloth?)

Thanks for visiting.  Don't forget to click over to Between Naps on the Porch for the incredible settings that you'll find there.  Thanks again, Susan, for being such a cheerful and gracious hostess.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, it's not until you see the close-up that you see how fun and interesting your placesettings are! I love the mix of textures and patterns, all in the black and white color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love black and white together. Those polka dot plates are very cute.

    Hugs,
    joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine are simple during the week too! I like round place mats..my table is round and they seem to fit better than the rectangular ones, which seem to touch each other!
    Love those polka dots! Pretty table!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I wish you were closer. I would have borrowed those black wine glasses. They would have been the perfect touch to my black and white scape this week! Thanks so much for your kind comment. And believe me, with dinner for 5 every night, our tablescapes aren't always so fancy!

    Thank you also for taking my button about my party. So happy that you'll be joining us.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the detail on the dishes. LOVELY!!!

    ~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the simplicity of your setting. Those polka dot plates are terrific. I didn't know that the fork on the napkin was a no-no.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job, Sue. I like how you layered your china. It looks really pretty. Don't ever put down simplicity - nothing at all wrong with it and it's great to hear you actually set this table to eat from...some including mine may be just for the blog party! Nothing wrong with that either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue-
    I love the black and the white and the simplicity- it is dressy, but not hard to change around when you are done! Thanks for visiting me too! Love, ~Nana~

    PS- we never eat at my Tablescapes- gotta work on that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your black and white table, very classy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh, I like this black and white table! I have been slowly collecting some black and white pieces to put together for a table. I just think it looks so clean and elegant.

    Thanks for stopping by and I CAN'T wait to see what bargains you got thrifting this past week! I am so nosey!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty table. Love the simplicity and the polka dot plates. They look like Kate Spade. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can never go wrong with black and white. Thank you for sharing, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate your comments.